PDA

View Full Version : Goldrush Server

N0body
Oct 07, 2008, 02:00 PM
Hey all, DF especially.

I'm a Goldrush whore and I really enjoy playing on the server, it's a lot of fun and keeps the map moving.

I've been enjoying the payload map for quite a while now and have managed to blackmail DF into giving me admin rights so it can stay a good place to play.

There's a regular following there every night and I'd like to propose a few changes.

1) I would like to add the Badwater Basin Map to the server and put it on 2-3 hour rotation for a few weeks to test out response to it.

2) Server stability is sketchy at best, can you check into the regular crashes that happen every night? It is starting to kill the server off early in the night.

3) Rename it to 24/7 Payload.

Thanks!

Hell-met
Oct 07, 2008, 02:05 PM
I agree, it should be 24/7 payload instead.

insomniaprincess
Oct 07, 2008, 02:56 PM
I think it's a good idea and I think most of the regulars there will agree.

I've also had complaints about crashes/resets occurring in the evenings, usually around 7-9pm central time. At first I thought it was just the regular reset time but now it seems to be happening more often than once a night.

Now about this blackmailing DF thing... I have backup copies of those photos in a secret safe location, N0body. You just lemme know if you need them again. :wink:

Biggs
Oct 07, 2008, 05:17 PM
I think that's a good idea also. Payload ftw.

Drunken F00l
Oct 07, 2008, 06:26 PM
I agree that server stability has been an issue. I still haven't been able to conclude whether it's a problem with my plugin or srcds in general. The core dumps almost always point to things internal to srcds/tf2 such as engineer objects, physics, or model/bone manipulation. The remainder of the crashes end up having odd stack traces which could indicate stack corruption and a mistake on my part.

So, it remains unclear if it's something wrong with my plugin/configuration or if it's a problem with TF2.

Valve maps #2 seems to have much better stability this week. Proof:
http://sourceop.hlstatsx.com/?mode=servers&server_id=4&game=tf

Goldrush is better, but still has issues:
http://sourceop.hlstatsx.com/?mode=servers&server_id=5&game=tf

I'm thinking that since goldrush has 1 day map cycles, that could be an issue. None of the other servers, including the 24/7 2fort server waits a day before refreshing the map. If reducing the rotation to 2-3hours improves stability, it's probably safe to say that this is a main factor in the stability issues.

Valve maps #2 stability increased with the automatic ban for fast class switching. I think exploits/malicious players may have been a factor in its previous instability, but I'm uncertain.

24/7 payload is something I'm willing to try out.

N0body
Oct 07, 2008, 06:49 PM
Great!

Any problem with adding the Badwater Basin map to the rotation?

When do you think you would be able to implement these changes?

Drunken F00l
Oct 07, 2008, 11:02 PM
Probably do it tomorrow. Don't want to make everyone scream in my face though.

insomniaprincess
Oct 07, 2008, 11:34 PM
Ask and ye shall receive!

(just don't put a timeline on when the giver gets to giving :wink: )

Thank you DF for looking into this. We appreciate it.

Kou
Oct 08, 2008, 04:56 AM

How is that order pizza command coming along?

Zeitgeist
Oct 08, 2008, 08:01 AM
i would try out 24/7 payload...

nice.

N0body
Oct 08, 2008, 12:30 PM
There are some custom Payload maps that people have been sending me, maybe after a month of two we can add them to the rotation to spice it up.

I'd like to get the high caliber players (non snipers) playing more on the payload servers to give people more of a challenge.

-LMA-
Oct 09, 2008, 10:06 AM
24/7 payload sounds a whole lot better than 24/7 goldrush

Would definitely play on this server sometimes if the valve maps one was on a shi**y map. I'm all for the payload change ;)

N0body
Oct 09, 2008, 04:30 PM
Here's one of the maps that's been sent to me from the players on the Goldrush server.

It looks amazing, and I'd like to think about adding it at a later date.

http://www.fpsbanana.com/maps/65823

Hell-met
Oct 09, 2008, 06:01 PM
i remember it from tfc

Drunken F00l
Oct 09, 2008, 06:22 PM
Looks cool. I'll consider it.

Versed
Oct 10, 2008, 07:33 AM

Didn't EQ2 implement the code where when you typed /pizza you could actually order Pizza Hut online? Maybe it's not that far fetched... 8O

Zeitgeist
Oct 10, 2008, 07:58 AM

Didn't EQ2 implement the code where when you typed /pizza you could actually order Pizza Hut online? Maybe it's not that far fetched... 8O

i think i remember that...

insomniaprincess
Oct 10, 2008, 10:02 AM

yes but we have Wieks to get our pizzas.

Drunken F00l
Oct 14, 2008, 06:36 PM
The server is reverting back to 24/7 goldrush. 24/7 payload is an idea for a new server if I ever create one, but it upset too many people to keep it 24/7 payload.

Biggs
Oct 14, 2008, 06:44 PM
That's understandable. What ever is best for the server.

insomniaprincess
Oct 14, 2008, 06:55 PM
Thanks for being open to trying things out!

Sups
Dec 06, 2008, 10:20 PM
Sorta reopening this. An idea to try.

1. Keep the default map rotation only goldrush
2. Allow people to map vote to badwater (or any other payload maps when they are made)

It would be nice to play badwater every once in a while

Drunken F00l
Dec 07, 2008, 01:26 AM
That's what it was. Goldush/badwater with option to skip map (veto) and keep playing same map. It got bad feedback.

Redneck
Dec 07, 2008, 02:13 AM
I think the problem was it was a vote to NOT play badwater as opposed to a vote to play it; if enough people didn't vote (which is often the case), badwater would be next.

Sups
Dec 07, 2008, 12:32 PM
Right. If I remember correctly, we had to vote for the next map after the time ran out. What I'm proposing is to keep it "24/7" goldrush, but a map vote has to be initiated by a player to even have a chance to play other payload maps (only badwater for now). If there isnt a mapvote, then default it to go to goldrush.

Oh, and because badwater did not play too well earlier, I would suggest that the game timer should be either

1. On a shorter map rotation timer (i.e. goldrush is now about 2:30 per rotation, and make badwater 30minutes to 1 hour)
2. setup so that server reverts back to goldrush after X number of rounds
2a. either by X number of rounds played
2.b X number of team switch(es) so both sides can defend and play offense an equal amount

Redneck
Dec 07, 2008, 01:34 PM
So if I understand right you wouldn't want to have a vote forced on badwater at the end of X rounds, you would want to be able to initiate a vote to play it. Drunken, can you hook that up sir?

Drunken F00l
Dec 07, 2008, 02:15 PM
I could, but I still think it would upset lots of people who just want to play goldrush.

trover4
Dec 07, 2008, 08:50 PM
I think the major problem with that whole thing is that badwater is a terrible map. i would have to agree with sups on the vote over to badwater idea, cause i sometime need a break from goldrush, but i like playing with the people i play with everyday. I know its kind of a pain but having a vote between a few good payload maps is probably a good idea. i would love to play pl_dustbowl or pl_hoodoo with you guys.

Sups
Dec 08, 2008, 08:32 PM
haha, badwater is definitely not as good as goldrush. but man.. is there really a payload version of dustbowl and what the hell is hoodoo? I wouldnt mind playing those. Or what about this/? only activate map votes on a specific day (i.e. sundays) or when its a full moon, or daylight savings (if you really want it that rare).

Simo
Dec 09, 2008, 07:58 AM
I am really the only one who thinks this is a horrible idea? I am a regular on the SourceOP Goldrush servers for 2 reasons:

1) It's GOLDRUSH 24/7
2) It's usually full

Goldrush is literally the only map I will ever play, If I wanted to go to a payload server I would. Seriously people, just stick with Goldrush. I like the setup the way it is.

trover4
Dec 09, 2008, 08:15 PM
i kinda agree with simo too, because its kinda lame to have a 24/7 goldrush server and then make it not be 24/7 goldrush, I will more agree with sups to have it be more rare than a plain rotation. and btw the payload version of dustbowl is fantastic (i mean cmon, its dustbowl and its payload), and hoodoo is the best payload map i have ever played. given ive only played hoodoo in highlander and 6v6 competition it was fantastic and it should be good in a 16v16. PL_dustbowl ive played in 12v12 nothing more as of yet, but there is no reason it wouldn't be great. But the reason i play on SourceOP servers is because its always full and i like playing with you guys and i like payloads. I don't think it should go rotation, but maybe just give us a chance to occasionally play a different map with all the people we like to play with would be pretty awesome.

Redneck
Dec 11, 2008, 03:02 AM
Could we try having badwater available for a vote for a week and see what the feedback is like?

Simo
Dec 11, 2008, 05:00 PM
leave 24/7 goldrush alone. Its one of the last good goldrush servers out there. Go play on a payload server if you want badwater so bad :x :x :x :x

insomniaprincess
Dec 11, 2008, 05:10 PM
Could we try having badwater available for a vote for a week and see what the feedback is like?

We tried it. Feedback was negative.

Bufus
Dec 11, 2008, 06:21 PM
Whatever you do, do not change it to payload. It was tried a while ago and it absolutely blew. I agree with Simo, if you want to play Payload, go to another server. Im not trying to be mean, but the people who play on Goldrush dont play there by accident, they play there because they love goldrush.

Bufus
Dec 11, 2008, 06:23 PM
But then again... Sups does have a good point . If someone really wants it, then the vote should be whether or not to play it, not whether or not to NOT play it (as complicated as that sounds).

Redneck
Dec 11, 2008, 06:30 PM

We tried it. Feedback was negative.

But before, a vote had to pass in order to skip it. We're asking if we can simply RTV for it every once in a while, and the vote would have to pass in order to play it. If everyone hates it so much, the vote should never pass, right? :)

trover4
Dec 11, 2008, 06:36 PM
or you could do the infamous vote initiation. So it plays on goldrush all of the time until someone initiates a vote on whether to play a different map. and not to have goldrush end unless most everyone else agrees. Cause my real big thing is when i play at like 3am (US TIME) when its just starting to dwindle down and its like 10v10. it would be cool just to zip over to another pl map. As far as i could tell that would be pretty easy and harmless. although these are drunkenf00ls servers so he does as he pleases with them.

Redneck
Dec 17, 2008, 02:36 AM
or you could do the infamous vote initiation. So it plays on goldrush all of the time until someone initiates a vote on whether to play a different map. and not to have goldrush end unless most everyone else agrees. Cause my real big thing is when i play at like 3am (US TIME) when its just starting to dwindle down and its like 10v10. it would be cool just to zip over to another pl map. As far as i could tell that would be pretty easy and harmless. although these are drunkenf00ls servers so he does as he pleases with them.

That's exactly what I'm proposing...I don't think badwater would be played very much at all, but at least we could change things up every once in a while if everyone agreed to it.

Retro
Dec 17, 2008, 10:37 AM
Though I'm in favor of being able to initiate the vote for some badwater action every now and then, I fear the map vote may be used primarily to scramble teams.

Isuxdix
Dec 17, 2008, 10:42 AM
God I would love a team scramble option

Redneck
Dec 18, 2008, 02:50 AM

qft

Simo
Dec 18, 2008, 03:01 AM

qft
negative. team stacking is a way of life on all source op servers. Plus i love playing on the same team as my steam friends. Its the other teams fault for not working together.

Redneck
Dec 18, 2008, 03:29 AM
Lately, it hasn't been so bad on 24/7 GR, but it was killing the server before.