PDA

View Full Version : plr crash

matrix
Feb 14, 2008, 02:06 AM
This plugin was working fine on windows 2003 x32 i moved to windows 2003 x64 today and can't for the love of me get this plugin to work. Even with a fresh download of the tf2 server software the plugin crashes the server when it loads. Same exact setup was working on the other box and the game directory that I used was the same on both systems. I can't test this now since I no longer have access to the x32 system. But it seems that this plugin does not work on windows 2003 x64. I know they are going to have an update today at 11am and would like to figure this out of i'm offline :( someone help please?

It seems to crash at the last part of the load when it adds the master server it adds the 1st one then the 2nd one then the crash. The crash is displayed by a pop up window it's an unknown exception with some address info..

Drunken F00l
Feb 14, 2008, 02:20 AM
It's possible that the plugin will not work on machines with hardware data execution prevention. I don't have such a system to test it on, so I can't be sure.

If the server makes an mdmp file, you could send that to me via email and it might be helpful.

matrix
Feb 14, 2008, 02:23 AM
Would it help if I posted the error message and address locations?

matrix
Feb 14, 2008, 02:25 AM
I'll switch off DEP and let you know also

sounds like a DEP issue

matrix
Feb 14, 2008, 02:29 AM
Here is the link to the file you requested

http://matrix-host.com:81/MDMP/Steam__192875__2008_2_14T8_27_28C2453.mdmp

matrix
Feb 14, 2008, 04:41 AM
ok srcds needs to be added to the DEP exceptions list and all is good.

Tim
Feb 14, 2008, 05:25 PM
I'm soo sorry! What is a DEP? I looked it up and found that it is a "Data Execution Prevention" progrom or something similar. But why does my server crash what do I have to do?

Warface
Feb 14, 2008, 05:33 PM
I don't think it's DEP. I've already fixed DEP and I'm getting crashes as soon as people enter the server. With the server empty...it runs fine.

Tim
Feb 14, 2008, 05:39 PM
No, were talking about the server not even being able to start up... So how do I go about fixing this?

Warface
Feb 14, 2008, 06:07 PM
You may be able to get the servers to start up, Tim.....but once you do, the plugin will crash the server. Just follow these steps.

-Control Panel
-System
-Advanced
-Under performance....go to settings
-Under settings....go to the Data Execution Prevention tab
-Your settings should be "Turn on DEP for all programs except for the one's I select"
-Go to "Add" and add the srcds.exe file for all the servers you are running. If you have 3 servers, you should have 3 scrds listed in that window.
- Hit Apply and Ok and now you should be faced with the server crashing problem.

stryfe
Feb 14, 2008, 06:37 PM
I'm getting the same thing.

Tim
Feb 14, 2008, 06:51 PM
Yep, thanks Warface I've got it working now.

stryfe
Feb 14, 2008, 08:51 PM
Added the srcds to the DEP list and I still get a crash when people join.

stryfe
Feb 14, 2008, 09:11 PM
I still see alot of people about 32 players. What gives.. Hrmm..

stryfe
Feb 14, 2008, 09:30 PM
Well an update. It loads fine players join a few seconds later server restarts, not mdmp file nothing. Help!

Tim
Feb 15, 2008, 01:51 AM
Well, I just put mine to "Turn on DEP for essential Windows programs and services only."

blik
Feb 15, 2008, 05:43 AM
I have the same problem... Fine while it's empty... the moment a few people join it crashes :/

Drunken F00l
Feb 15, 2008, 04:17 PM
PLR has been updated to work with DEP enabled. Get 1.2.1 at the downloads section.

Drunken F00l
Feb 15, 2008, 04:17 PM
I have the same problem... Fine while it's empty... the moment a few people join it crashes :/

Are you trying to do more than 32 players? TF2 will crash with more than 32 player slots.

chikencarnage
Feb 16, 2008, 04:39 PM
so i tried the new updated plr file and my server now loads up with it on there (the last version wouldn't let it load up) and we can even get two people in it and it runs fine. now though, when a third person joins, the server crashes.

we are running a 32 man server with with windows2003 32-bit.

Drunken F00l
Feb 16, 2008, 08:07 PM
Can you try this dll:
http://www.sourceop.com/downloads/plr/test/plr.dll

I fixed one thing, and it's the only thing I can think of right now that might be causing crashes for some people and not others.

chikencarnage
Feb 16, 2008, 10:06 PM
ill give it a try once my server dies for the night

Drunken F00l
Feb 17, 2008, 03:10 AM
Cool, thanks. Let me know.

chikencarnage
Feb 17, 2008, 02:25 PM
yeah its still happening. once the third guy joins, everyone gets timesout and the server restarts.

Drunken F00l
Feb 17, 2008, 07:34 PM
Are you using SourceTV? 32 players + SourceTV will really mean 33 players which will cause crashing since 32 players is the max.

chikencarnage
Feb 17, 2008, 08:35 PM
no, no sourceTV.

and i guess i should ask this, but with this latest version, srcds shouldnt have to be on the DEP list should it?

Drunken F00l
Feb 17, 2008, 11:01 PM
No, with the latest version srcds shouldn't need to be on the DEP exclusion list. I will keep investigating the issue. The source for this plugin isn't very big, and so there isn't a lot to review. I've been over it several times and see no obvious reason for the issue. I will keep poking around though.

Drunken F00l
Feb 17, 2008, 11:11 PM
Also, let me ask the obvious question.

Is your dedicated server hosted? Does the host allow the number of maxplayers you are setting. If you rent a server and pay for 24 slots, setting your server to 32 slot will often cause your server to automatically be shut down or restarted.

I've tried the plugin on my own test server with DEP enabled and had no issues filling it with bots.

chikencarnage
Feb 18, 2008, 01:11 AM
yes it is a hosted server but the host allows us to and we are paying for a 32 person server. I may contact my host tomorrow and have him do the DEP thing and see if it changes anything.

Drunken F00l
Feb 18, 2008, 06:17 PM
Let me know how that goes.

matrix
Feb 20, 2008, 02:50 AM
fresh install.

Badlands seems to run good if i just copy the game folder edit the server name set the map to 2fort and start the server with a new port the server will crash after running full for a few hours. even did another fresh install with a clean download of the plugins 2fort will still crash after a few hours of plaing full. I'm going to try the 1.2 version i guess that is the version that you have used on your servers for a long time. I added the server to the DEP list and i'll let you know. Strange thing just don't understand why one server will run ok and the other will crash. Both are 24/7 servers and they don't cycle the map much.

Also run beetlemod

matrix
Feb 21, 2008, 12:00 AM
Ya still have crashes on the 2fort map. Not sure what the deal is log does not show anything just stops cold. I'll have to just use a hexed engine.dll for now. I have done everything to troubleshoot this. Working on it since last week.

Drunken F00l
Feb 21, 2008, 03:06 AM
It's really strange that it would only happen on the 2fort map. When I tested it originally, I was on 2fort, so I don't know what the deal is for you.

matrix
Feb 21, 2008, 06:24 PM
Ya i'm open for ideas playing with this for over a week now. Seems like some people have had problems with the plugin and have went back to the hexed engine.dll I'm trying that now with the 1.1 version of the plugin just to see if the crashes stop. I"ll let you know

I'm open to any ideas anyone has on this.

matrix
Feb 21, 2008, 07:22 PM
See i never had the problem filling the server with more then 3 people but just like clockwork every 3 hours or so it would crash. Log just stops and no MDMP. So i'm on the hexed engine.dll now both versions of the plugin did not seem to work I just want to make sure I have a stable setup so once the server clears out later on tonight I'll have a good idea if it was the plr plugin or now. Once I know that I'm going to give that test plr plugin a shot. The plr plugin seems to work fine on the other 32 player server i run that server does not run 2fort just badlands. I have spent almost a week on this now i'm going to keep working on it till I know for sure waht the issue is. I'll post more info later on tonight

matrix
Feb 22, 2008, 02:19 AM
Ok same setup but if I replace the plr plugin with the 1.1 version and use a hexed engine.dll the server runs great. This is the longest that this server has stayed up all week. Not once crash I did not have time to try the test plr plugin yet I will try to do that this weekend. But not sure what is wrong but does seem to be some strange issue with the plr pluging both the 1.2 and the 1.2.1 version. Maybe people could post their hardware setup and we can look for a trend

windows 2003 Ent. x64
Q6600 (quad core)
4 gig RAM x 1066Mhz
RAID 0

Big_Cowboy
Feb 24, 2008, 12:27 AM
so i tried the new updated plr file and my server now loads up with it on there (the last version wouldn't let it load up) and we can even get two people in it and it runs fine. now though, when a third person joins, the server crashes.

we are running a 32 man server with with windows2003 32-bit.

Did you ever find a fix chickencarnage? I now have the same issue where the server crashes after the 3rd person joins. It was running fine while full (32 people) last night.

chikencarnage
Feb 25, 2008, 10:50 AM
I just got back from vacation so no, i havent found a solution yet. I got my provider to add srcds.exe to the DEP and im going to see if the test plr.dll or the 1.2.1 plr.dll will work with that setting changed tonight though.

Since this hasnt been working I've had to revert back to the hacked engine.dll with the old plr.dll which has been working flawlessly.

chikencarnage
Feb 25, 2008, 06:42 PM
so did some testing and i still get crashes after the third person joins. I added srcds.exe to the DEP list and that didnt change anything. I used both the test plr and the 1.2.1 plr.

Drunken F00l
Feb 25, 2008, 06:57 PM
Weird. What map? 2fort? Does it happen on other maps? What happens if you turn on sv_cheats and add 3 bots (using bot command)? Still crash?

Also, thanks for helping investigating this.

matrix
Feb 25, 2008, 07:34 PM
Seems like 2fort but I don't know if its just the map or the fact that the server I run 2fort on is the server that fills up and runs for the most amount of time. I don't have a problem getting up to 32 players but the server will just crash after about 3 or 4 hours of play. I have tested everything and as soon as I go back to the hexed .dll and the old plr plugin it works and I have not had one crash since then. I still have the test plr plugin to try out I will try to do that as soon as I can. Both versions of plr crash 1.2 and 1.2.1 I'm not sure about the 3rd person crash as I have never had the problem. Memory leak i'm just at a loss I really want to run that plugin and any help I can offer you let me know. Other people I have spoke to also have similar crash problems. Spent about a week to make sure it was nothing else clean install and everything.

chikencarnage
Feb 25, 2008, 11:35 PM
ive tried 2fort, dustbowl, gravel pit, mario_kart, best in class, and warpath........so im going to say its safe to assume that its all maps. I have not tried bots but i could give it a try. im gonna go ahead and guess right now that the same will happen.

Drunken F00l
Feb 26, 2008, 11:50 AM
Well if it does still happen with bots then that rules out a few things. If it doesn't, that rules out some different things. If you get the chance, could you try? Because when I try it with bots, everything works fine.

chikencarnage
Feb 27, 2008, 12:44 PM
yeah ill give it a shot tomorrow after my morning class

Drunken F00l
Feb 27, 2008, 01:52 PM
Also, another thing to try is to run the plugin on a 24 player server and see if it still happens. If it doesn't, then I think that greatly limits where the problem can be.

chikencarnage
Feb 28, 2008, 11:52 AM
so i filled my server with bots and no crashes. workin on the 24 man test right now

Warface
Feb 28, 2008, 04:19 PM
.....as yet another update to TF2 approaches.

Drunken F00l
Feb 28, 2008, 09:08 PM
Ya, the tf2 update pretty much eliminated the need for this plugin.

chikencarnage
Feb 28, 2008, 10:09 PM
thats what i saw. welp i guess thats that.

Drunken F00l
Feb 28, 2008, 11:58 PM
Ya, I'm still curious though why the plugin was acting up. If I look into it more, and figure it out I will post results here.

blik
Feb 29, 2008, 06:36 AM
Hmm, can this plugin still be used to get a 33rd slot? I'm trying to do just that to implement reserved slots, but when connecting to the server I get this error:

Engine Error
UpdatePlayerName with bogus slot 33

chikencarnage
Feb 29, 2008, 01:43 PM
well, seems there still could be a use for this plugin. it appears that valve now pushes all server over 24 to the custom tab...........well i dont want that, i want to be on the internet tab as well.

and apparenly, over on the battlerealms forums, nephyrin got a plugin to get servers over 24 onto the master server list but hasnt released the plugin yet :cry:

Drunken F00l
Feb 29, 2008, 03:41 PM
Hmm, can this plugin still be used to get a 33rd slot? I'm trying to do just that to implement reserved slots, but when connecting to the server I get this error:

Engine Error
UpdatePlayerName with bogus slot 33

No, it's not for 33 players. 32 is the max.

blik
Mar 02, 2008, 07:31 AM
No, it's not for 33 players. 32 is the max.
http://www.game-monitor.com/search.php?search=sourceop

You're running 33 slot servers? :?

Sourceop secret?

Drunken F00l
Mar 03, 2008, 12:11 AM
The 33 player thing is something I am not going to release.