PDA

View Full Version : new problem

larz
Jul 13, 2006, 04:08 PM
i hav had this problem b4 and fixed it last time but becuz i reformmatted everything now its a little different. i cant run any steam apps becuz when i do a blue screen pops up saying " a problem has been detected and windows has been shut down 2 prevent damage 2 ur PC" all i need to know is how do i access my firewall settings. i hav windows xp obviuosly.

Naquadria
Jul 13, 2006, 05:40 PM
What firewall do you have?

larz
Jul 13, 2006, 08:19 PM
um well i just reformatted as u know, but now theirs no link 2 my firewall settings at all. its as if i dont even have one.anyways i did a few things so im gonna see if it worx now cya

Naquadria
Jul 13, 2006, 09:10 PM
Well if you didnt install one then i think Windows Firewall turns on automatically. So click the Windows Firewall icon in the contorl panel.

Retribution
Jul 13, 2006, 11:42 PM
that doesn't sound like a firewall problem but a coding error problem
try to reinstall the steam program and all apps

Naquadria
Jul 13, 2006, 11:53 PM
Yeah a firewall would cause you to have a blue screen of death from loading a steam app

larz
Jul 14, 2006, 12:06 AM
yeah i know its most likely a firewall prob cuz i had this prob b4 and it was my firewall blockin hlf2

Retribution
Jul 14, 2006, 12:33 AM
well if it happened befpre and you know why, then why did you ask!!! :evil:

larz
Jul 14, 2006, 12:39 AM
lol because i cant find a way to access my firewall settings, everything is loopy since i reformatted, damm thing wont stand by anymore, i have to always shut it down

Retribution
Jul 14, 2006, 12:43 AM
i never use my windows firewall, the fire wall that came with my panda antivirus is all i need(pandas rock)
my cousine is afraid of pandas because the eat bamboo, would you rather they eat people!!!, or ailens!!! or larz's mom!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
:barb: lol its sadam in a jester hat!!!
hey i wonder how hard it would be to make holiday smiles?

larz
Jul 14, 2006, 12:56 AM
wow you can make your own smiles. well i learn something everyday

Retribution
Jul 14, 2006, 01:01 AM
well yeah you can make your own but i you press the "View more Emoticons" button theres alot more there :thumbsup4:

larz
Jul 14, 2006, 12:22 PM
their is no firewall icon in the control panel.still nothing worx, just a blue screen of death, i cant find any evidence of a firewall on my pc at all and im losing patience fast, instead of my dad fucking helping, he gets drunk and says "its that steam spyware shit thats fucking up you your computer"i hope he burns in hell :evil:

anyhoo i went to the STEAM technical suppost page and ran a crash test thing.

Results

Display drivers: Failed
Your nVidia display drivers are currently out of date
For updated drivers, click here
Display Adapter: NVIDIA GeForce 6600 GT
Recommended Driver Version: 84.21
Recommended Driver Date: 03/17/2006
Severity: Very High

DirectX: Passed
Your version of DirectX meets the minimum requirements

UDP Ports: Passed
The following UDP ports were reachable.
UDP Port: 27000 - 27040

TCP Ports: Passed
The following TCP ports were reachable.
TCP Port: 27020 - 27040

Background Processes: Failed
The following background processes were found on your system. Please try exiting or uninstalling them, and see if that resolves your issue
Process: C:\Program Files\Kodak\KODAK Software Updater\7288971\Program\backWeb-7288971.exe(i just deleted this program 5 minutes ago whats weird is that it still shows up on my tool bar and their are kodak pop ups yet its not in add or remove programs anymore)
Backweb spyware.
Severity: Low

Loaded Modules: Failed
The following loaded modules were found on your system. Please try exiting or uninstalling the application assoicated with them, and see if that resolves your issue
Module: C:\PROGRA~1\Yahoo!\MESSEN~1\rvcommon.dll
common.dll is WebSearch toolbar
For more information, click here
Severity: Low

Services: Passed
There were no services found that conflict with Steam or the games.

Layered Service Providers: Passed
There were no LSPs found that should conflict with Steam or the games.

Audio/Video Codecs: Passed
There were no audio/video codecs found that conflict with Steam or the games.

Additional Information

If Steam continues to crash, try deleting all files and folders in the Steam directory except for steam.exe and the SteamApps folder

If you continue to have problems playing the games, try using the launch options -nosound and -windowed.

Open Steam, then Play games
Right click the Souce game, click properties, then Launch options
add -nosound -windowed, click ok, then close.

how do i fix the stuff it mentions(minus the video driver)

Retribution
Jul 14, 2006, 02:44 PM
yeah just reinstall the stuff

larz
Jul 14, 2006, 03:13 PM
can i get one more opinion before i do that becuase i really dont think it will do a damm thing,i really think i just need 2 access my invisible firewall settings

OMG THIS IS WEIRD, I HAVE HLF2 EP ONE INSTALLED WITH DM AND YET IT DOESNT SHOW UP AT ALL ON "ADD OR REMOVE PROGRAMS" WHATS WITH THAT???????????? :x

Naquadria
Jul 14, 2006, 04:16 PM
Why would it... any and all steam games wont show up in add/remove progs window. Steam.exe is the only thing you'll see in there.

larz
Jul 14, 2006, 04:20 PM
why's that?

Naquadria
Jul 14, 2006, 05:07 PM
cause steam is the main program for all those games so they all install under steam.

larz
Jul 14, 2006, 05:47 PM
oh ok anyway i just installed XP serive pack2 and now i hav a visible firewall :) but the prob still isnt fixed just yet

Retribution
Jul 15, 2006, 10:15 AM
by the data i got yoy should reinstall your video driver or get it updated

larz
Jul 15, 2006, 08:53 PM
my video driver isnt the problem trust me, i think i just need a new PC, which wont happen for the next 2 years which means halflife2 is byebye for me :D :cry: