PDA

View Full Version : Competative Team Tournament Sign Ups

Zeitgeist
Dec 09, 2008, 12:59 PM
Welcome to the SourceOp Team-Tourney Season 1 Thread
(We are currently putting this project on the backburner until the SourceOp Official Tournament has finalized, which will give us a good indication of the ability of the sourceop server population to sustain a tournament environment)

SourceOp Team Tourney Season 1 FAQ

NOTE: The contents of this post will remain relatively unmodified until the SourceOp Official Tournament has concluded. However, the sponsors are still very curious about the interest levels of regular members in such a tournament. Please, if this interests you, get in contact with a member of H2O or pHd

Q: Who can compete in this tourney?
A: Anyone and everyone who plays on any SourceOp server is able to participate.

Q: Do I need to be in a clan to participate?
A: No, in fact, we need more UNCLANNED members to help fill out mostly clan-based teams, and also to compete in teams comprised entirely of unclanned members.

Q: How does team formation work?
A: Every team will need to have at least 6 players, eventually. In the future, there will likely be hard-and-fast class restrictions on final tourney play. For now, we are just guaging interest, so don't sweat it.

Q: Can I sign up as an individual without a team?
A: Absolutely! In fact, team rules haven't even been finalized. We believe a majority of teams will form from individual members - a great way to meet players from other servers!

Q: This sounds super serious, is it?
A: UBER SERIOUZ! But no, we are just trying to play TF2 in different way, a way that we feel is exciting, fast pace, and downright fun. And we think you might feel that way, too, after giving it a shot. You really have nothing to lose.

Q: This is confusing, who can I talk to who will clear this up?
A: Please send either me of getthere1time a message over SourceOp forums or through Steam so we can better assist you.

PARTICIPATING:
FrostDragonfly
H2O GetThere1Time
H2O Goose
H2O Krylon
H2O schwarz
H2O SergeantBalls
Hell-met
pHd | Half-Duplex'
pHd | IamtheBOOKIE
pHd | KiseR_CleriC
pHd | Zerogeist
MrCrOw
wieks

getthere1tme
Dec 09, 2008, 01:39 PM
H2O GetThere1Time
H2O schwarz
H2O Krylon
H2O Goose
H2O SergeantBalls

We'll pick up a sixth here soon

FrostDragonfly
Dec 09, 2008, 01:45 PM
if its not clan based, u can sign me up for scout or soldier.

Zeitgeist
Dec 09, 2008, 01:51 PM

awesome :) yeah I want individuals to sign up too - most clans can't fill a 6 person team on their own, and there will be plenty of GOOD unclanned players that want to form teams.

Versed
Dec 09, 2008, 02:48 PM
H2O GetThere1Time
H2O schwarz
H2O Krylon
H2O Goose
H2O SergeantBalls

Ooo do I get to be the sixth man?!

Hell-met
Dec 09, 2008, 05:33 PM
Count me in.

And hopefully I won't crash in mid-game.

That is so shameful.

wieks
Dec 09, 2008, 06:18 PM

dont be silly, we are the [free points clan] :p

but i may be interested aswell

getthere1tme
Dec 09, 2008, 06:27 PM
H2O GetThere1Time
H2O schwarz
H2O Krylon
H2O Goose
H2O SergeantBalls

Ooo do I get to be the sixth man?!

Sorry, we have our sixth. MrCrOw

Zeitgeist
Dec 09, 2008, 06:35 PM
Sorry, we have our sixth. MrCrOw

added

Redneck
Dec 09, 2008, 07:08 PM
<---

Zeitgeist
Dec 10, 2008, 09:36 AM
also please let me know if im missing any clan tags as we go along doing this

getthere1tme
Dec 10, 2008, 03:45 PM
Needs more sign ups in here. Don't be shy, guys. Sign up yourselves or even better get 5 friends from wherever you play together and sign up as a team.

I know competitive TF2 might be a turn off for some people, but it can actually be quite fun. It adds a whole new level to a game that you've probably dumped a whole hell of a lot of time in to.

Think you're a great player that never has his chance to shine in a 16 man server? Try competitive TF2. Individual skill, while not solely important can go a long way. One good killfest can lead your team to victory, not just stall until you can kill the 15 sentries on the next point.

Not so good at TF2 but play well with others? Try competitive TF2. Teamwork is key for any victory. A very talented team who are all off doing their own thing will get ANNIHILATED by 6 guys who are well coordinated and communicating.

Looking to spice up a game you love? This is the place to do it. Sure class options might be a little limited but at the same time the game dynamic changes so much. It's a totally different approach to TF2. I know, personally, I was getting bored of the same big pub stuff day in and out. Playing competitive TF2 rekindled my love for this awesome game?

Hate sentries? Me too! Unless it's Gravel Pit or Dustbowl, you probably won't see an engie at all and even then, one gun to deal with isnt so bad.

These are just a few reasons to sign up and play. Yes, I'm a big pusher of competitive TF2. Why? As I've said in another thread, it's a pretty small community and it's one that I've grown to love. The problem with it is that not too many new teams join so you're competing against teams that have been around forever and quite frankly it can be brutal and discouraging. The only way to solve the problem is to try and open as many people to it as possible in the hopes that it gets some popularity and newer teams of around the same skill level will come in to play each other. Hell, some people don't even know competitive TF2 exists. If even one person gets interested enough to watch a professional match or goes on to ring or try out for a team then great.

It's fun. It's intense. It's a different way to play an old game. Try it. You just might like it. If you guys have any questions just let me know.

Zeitgeist
Dec 10, 2008, 09:57 PM
a+ post buddy. all great reasons to come join us and really be apart of the first sourceop team based tourney. it'll be fun! maybe even prizes?!

Redneck
Dec 11, 2008, 03:55 AM
I guess I didn't read the OP in detail before posting. Thought this was yet another roundup of people for the original tourney Frost suggested.

I'm definitely not one of the best 6 players on the 24/7 GR server, so please take me off.

We really need to get the original tourney together first, anyway.

getthere1tme
Dec 11, 2008, 06:48 AM
ANYONE CAN JOIN. You don't have to be the best of anything. If you don't have a team, sign up anyway and you'll be put with the others who dont. OR Grab some friends or make some friends and enter with them.

Here are the only requirements:

-You're a SourceOP regular from any server

fin

I dont know where the idea that this is some super exclusive tournament got around but it's pretty much the exact opposite. More people the merrier. It's just a different format.

Zeitgeist
Dec 11, 2008, 11:20 AM
I guess I don't understand why there is so much misinformation about the team tourney we are trying to put on getthere1time, except that maybe the timing with all the other tournaments got confusing.

This tournament is for anyone who plays on sourceop. anyone! and it wont be scary, it will be fun. Fun!

Hell-met
Dec 11, 2008, 12:04 PM
It's mostly because you twits created 15 threads at once

insomniaprincess
Dec 11, 2008, 12:40 PM
It's mostly because you twits created 15 threads at once
Yes.

Also, you decided to do it at the exact same time that someone else had an idea to do a tournament.

You decided since you didn't like exactly how he was planning his, you'd just branch off and do your own thing. Now, nearly everyone who volunteered to participate is confused and some don't even want to do it now.

getthere1tme
Dec 11, 2008, 01:16 PM
Also, you decided to do it at the exact same time that someone else had an idea to do a tournament.

You decided since you didn't like exactly how he was planning his

The first post was pretty much "Hay guys, lets have a tournament" with no plan whatsoever, which is how it branched off into so many ideas. Anyway, it doesn't matter. I'm gonna lay down a rule set and try to work out some specifics with DF and post them here. That way people know exactly what's going on.

insomniaprincess
Dec 11, 2008, 01:33 PM
He does have a plan but no one is listening because so many people wanted to run off and do their own thing. His initial post was to gauge interest because that's what DF told him to do.

"Sounds fun, let's see who's interested"

OmegaZero_Alpha
Dec 11, 2008, 01:42 PM
I gave up, you guys couldn't organize a vista sidebar.

I'm gonna go make my own TF2 servers, with blackjack, and hookers...

Hell-met
Dec 11, 2008, 01:44 PM

http://www.obsidianconflict.de/forums/images/smiles/emot-LMAO.gif

getthere1tme
Dec 11, 2008, 01:46 PM
Sure. Ok. The so many people who want to do their own thing are me and Zeitgeist. More power to what Frost wants to do now and I'll still help in whatever way I can if I'm asked. I tried to offer my input in order to help Frost. I saw people didn't like my ideas and it was complicating matters. I stopped. Zeit saw that there was still interest in something competitive so this is where I'm at.

I'm just going to concentrate on this so that people have absolutely no confusion as to what me and Zeit are planning here. I still don't understand how holding a different tournament will hamper the other one so much. It's not that confusing to say that the two are separate from one another.

OmegaZero,

I'm working on some organization right now. Also, count me in if there's booze too.

OmegaZero_Alpha
Dec 11, 2008, 01:48 PM
I've got booze, don't know about you.

TO THE {FO} SERVERS!!!

http://forums.sourceandorigin.com

Drunken F00l
Dec 11, 2008, 02:40 PM
I want to hear the first guy's official plan. I know the 6v6 thing that hsa come up now, but what was the alternative?

Was it 12v12 where each team is limited to SourceOP players of one server?

Zeitgeist
Dec 11, 2008, 03:01 PM
Honestly, THIS tournament (which we are going to have to name soon, because of the confusion) is my primary concern right now. I'm aware that this was not the tournament originally put forth, but i have been wanting to do this for a long time now, and it seemed like a good idea to capitalize on the sudden interest in tournaments.

I will be handling the logistics as a representative from pHd. (bookie and duplex arent paperwork kind of guys) and i assume getthere1time will be representing H2O. Our clans want to help host this tourney and get it off the ground.

This tourney has a real chance, we just need people to step forward and express some interest in it. getthere1time is more then qualified to handle the "rules," and i have offered to do a lot of the legwork for publishing and promoting. We have the resources (time, money, server space,) but before we go any further, we need at least 2 dozen more names on the first page of this thread.

Zeitgeist
Dec 11, 2008, 03:19 PM
also updated original post. getthere1time, let me know if you want any FAQs changed/added/removed.

hopefully it will be easier to get the feeling of this tourney at a quick glance now, as i suspect the wall of text i had up before was discouraging potential participants.

avy
Dec 11, 2008, 03:36 PM

I'm gonna go make my own TF2 servers, with blackjack, and hookers...

In fact, forget the TF2 servers and blackjack! (If I remember correctly)

Drunken F00l
Dec 11, 2008, 03:45 PM
In fact, forget the TF2 servers and the blackjack!

Season 1, Episode 2
Ah... screw the whole thing.

getthere1tme
Dec 11, 2008, 04:20 PM
Zeit,

I still want to do this at some point but lets put it on the backburner for now and support the Official SourceOP tourn. It's a reasonable medium and trying to run both at the same time will likely only decrease the participation we get. In the meantime, add me to steam friends and I'll hit you up with some ideas.

Zeitgeist
Dec 11, 2008, 04:40 PM
Zeit,

I still want to do this at some point but lets put it on the backburner for now and support the Official SourceOP tourn. It's a reasonable medium and trying to run both at the same time will likely only decrease the participation we get. In the meantime, add me to steam friends and I'll hit you up with some ideas.

i completely agree and was going to wait until after i got home to talk to you about it :) ill update the post when i get off of work (2ish hours)

ReVerT
Dec 12, 2008, 11:42 AM
SIGN ME UP FOR SPY, SNIPER OR MEDIC!!!!!!!!!
:twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)