PDA

View Full Version : SourceOp TF2 Tourny (for server regulars)

FrostDragonfly
Dec 03, 2008, 01:35 AM
hi, im [Cow-Lie]FrosT of the 24/7 goldrush server

and i thought it'd be cool if we could organize a thing where the regulars from each sourceop server play against each other

i brought it up amongst some of the regulars of the goldrush server and there is definitely some interest.

if u guys think its a good idea, maybe we should spread the word and get it rollin.

Half-Duplex
Dec 03, 2008, 01:46 AM
Hrm, I'd be down...

...friendly little competition is always fun. But what about those who play on multiple SourceOP servers? Who will they identify themselves with?

FrostDragonfly
Dec 03, 2008, 02:27 AM
yea u bring up a good point.

but im sure we wont be THAT strict, just pick a group u wanna play with.

Half-Duplex
Dec 03, 2008, 02:56 AM
so in other words...the way it already is now?

There needs to be some sort of team tree..or something...

...but if we even decide to go that far, might as well join a league and compete there...right?

Its a good idea, and I'd be down if you could get it all together. But I see fail in the future.

I could be wrong. Sorry to be a negative-nancy.

Drunken F00l
Dec 03, 2008, 02:58 AM
I like the idea and if there was enough interest I would help with it.

FrostDragonfly
Dec 03, 2008, 03:10 AM
first things first though, we need a quick and easy way to spread the word.

i suggest using a MoTD to get the word out, or even have an op go around on each server asking around

maybe have the motd telling them to join the sourceop group and post a reply of nick + server u play on to start getting rosters up

after that we can set a time/server for these to take place.

Adder
Dec 03, 2008, 08:45 AM
I think we all know what server would win.

Hell-met
Dec 03, 2008, 09:34 AM

I concur.

#1 is populated with team-stacking faggots, hence we cannot be beaten.

Zeitgeist
Dec 03, 2008, 11:47 AM

I concur.

+1

also, i am interested in fighting for the team-stacking faggots! this sounds awesome!

avy
Dec 03, 2008, 12:17 PM
Do old regulars count? Or ringers? d0=

Hell-met
Dec 03, 2008, 01:12 PM
d0=

what does this mean and why do you keep posting it

avy
Dec 03, 2008, 01:29 PM
it is a backwards smiley face to compliment my twisted sense of humor.

d is a tounge 0 is the nose = is the eyes

Various forms of this can be used. (0= )0= (0=< )0=< )0'= etc etc

wieks
Dec 03, 2008, 01:31 PM

I concur.

#2 is also populated with team stacking-faggots, actually i think every server goes along those lines :roll:

but anywyas +1 here for the idea

insomniaprincess
Dec 03, 2008, 02:16 PM
Aye, I'd be game if we can get people interested. Thanks for posting it, Frost. Good to see ya on the forums.

FrostDragonfly
Dec 03, 2008, 03:01 PM
lol, goldrush server is also full of team stack.

so may the greatest stack win.

and as far as old regulars, i'd say that counts.
maybe have a minimum server time spent requirement or something along those lines, but for the server im on, its pretty clear who the "regulars" are.

Shankstah
Dec 04, 2008, 12:08 AM
regular from no mods no bs server, i'm game.

Half-Duplex
Dec 04, 2008, 01:38 AM
it is a backwards smiley face to compliment my twisted sense of humor.

d is a tounge 0 is the nose = is the eyes

Various forms of this can be used. (0= )0= (0=< )0=< )0'= etc etc

Hell-met is one of those "special" people. You know, the ones that had to ride the short bus to school...he can't make sense of side way faces when it comes to the internet...

Perhaps you should have used: ^.^

Or better yet: Q.Q

since he's doing it all the time.

getthere1tme
Dec 04, 2008, 06:21 AM
I'm game and would even help organize as long as I could still play. A few questions though.

How many per team ? 6v6 7v7 8v8 highlander(9v9, one of each class) 12v12 or 16v16. Smaller games for competitive stuff is standard but its a very different way to play than most are used to. On the other hand 16v16 is rough because its just tough to coordinate 16 people to get on a server all at the same time.

Do we play a whole season for seeds or just run a tournament? A season requires more team commitment but it guarantees that everyone gets a fair shot and plays teams more on there level. It also helps with fairness in seeding. A tournament, however, would be quick and easy and might be better until we see how much interest is drummed up.

What maps do we play? I mean, the guys that play on the full rotation server certainly have the edge there if we're playing all of them. Also, in competitive play there are configs to load, specifically stopwatch on dustbowl, push maps, gravel pit. (If you don't know what stopwatch is, it's where one team attacks first, the game keeps track of how long it takes them to cap all the points, then the defenders switch to offense and have to beat that time to score a point. First to 2 wins.) But yeah, df would have to load any configs.

Crits on or off? Class limits?

There's probably some stuff I'm missing but yeah, OP, some things to think about if you actually want to do this.

Edit: Maybe this is a little more than you had in mind.

Hell-met
Dec 04, 2008, 08:01 AM
Vanilla 24/24 seems like the best option to me.

OmegaZero_Alpha
Dec 04, 2008, 08:19 AM
vanilla 24/24 WITH a plugin that lets dispensers refill spy's cloak.

Hell-met
Dec 04, 2008, 08:32 AM
Oh shit.

I meant 12/12 :oops:

OmegaZero_Alpha
Dec 04, 2008, 08:49 AM
vanilla 12/12 WITH a plugin that lets dispensers refill spy's cloak.

Rostov
Dec 04, 2008, 12:40 PM
Count me in. Saturday nights/Sunday afternoons are the only time I'm really available now though.

FrostDragonfly
Dec 04, 2008, 01:11 PM
yea i understand that big games are different play styles from small games

as someone said be4, i think its best to see how many are up for it.

12/12 sounds pretty good to me
crits off
we also need to figure out some class caps (maybe something like no more than 2 of each?)
saturday nights
and yea i was hoping some sort of map rotation even though the particular server i play on is 24/7 goldrush, i kinda wanna see how our regulars deal with different map situations too :p

the idea was to have some friendly competition and sourceop from different servers to sorta meet each other.

avy
Dec 04, 2008, 02:18 PM
My idea to prevent, as it's so eloquently put "team-stack faggotry," would be to pool all the participants and then just randomly draw names and assign them to sequential teams. Granted, there is a slim chance one team will inevitably be stacked but you did the most you could to prevent it.

Also, 12 vs 12 wouldn't make for a very good, long, diverse or fun tournament. IF you could scrounge up enough people to have more than 3-4 teams the logistics of getting them ALL online at the same time would be a nightmare. I know when I did CEVO for CS just getting ten people online at an agreed time was difficult (until you get into cevo-m). I would suggest stick with the pro bracket terms and do 6 vs 6 or at a stretch 9 vs 9. No class caps, if a team can successfully run 5 heavies and a medic, then more power to them.

Crits off, no question.

My $0.02.

FrostDragonfly
Dec 04, 2008, 02:33 PM
ur point about team size is very logical
and ur idea to prevent team stack is good as well.

i agree with team size, it will be hard to manage.
and as far as team stack, i wanted to see which server's team stack is greater :p (was supposed to be one server vs another) however, pulling names out of a hat for random teams would be interesting as well.
maybe we could try both.

and as far as class caps, my idea was to prevent something like..8 demos on defense on a payload map. maybe only need a demo cap

Zeitgeist
Dec 04, 2008, 03:11 PM
smaller teams, no class restrictions, crits off, tourney to gauge interest, if enough then full seeded season

IMO

oh, and spys should die instantly when they go near dispensers.

Drunken F00l
Dec 04, 2008, 03:19 PM
Somebody explain to me the logistics of the torunament. I've never played in a tournament, so I'm not 100% on the details.

Is it just your standard team vs team bracket sort of thing until you have one winner?

Also, I could provided prize(s). :o

avy
Dec 04, 2008, 03:43 PM
It really depends on how many teams you have. If it's less than 6, double elimination in a Best 2 out of 3. Meaning, if you lose 2 matches against seperate teams, you're outta the tourney. Matches should be random for the first match then losers play losers and winners play winners, kinda like going to the losers bracket if you fail the first match.

If 6 or more then I'd say a "season" style tourney where the top two teams with the best win:loss ratio play the "superbowl." That way, each team plays every other team and you get a real idea of who the "champs" should be. If you have a ridiculous amount of teams use this same format then take the top 8 and do a single elimination playoff.

I would be happy to crunch numbers and build brackets and ladders for ya. (As long as there is reasonable turnout)

insomniaprincess
Dec 04, 2008, 03:54 PM
Also, I could provided prize(s). :o

:P

Also, I can help organize if needed, start a running tally of names or something.

Frost, see if you can get some of those guys from Goldrush you said were interested to sign up here on the forums so we have a better "head count".

I can help spread the word to the other servers as well.

If they're insistent on being anti-forum, you could just tell them to message me on Steam.

Zeitgeist
Dec 04, 2008, 03:55 PM
id be happy to help as well as participate.

getthere1tme
Dec 04, 2008, 04:42 PM
I'm more than fine with a small game, however, there needs to be some class restrictions. For smaller games it's usually 2 of each class other than demo and medic which you're allowed only one of. For bigger games it's 3 and 2. Really it would just make for less fun without class restrictions. Otherwise you'd just have a bunch of demos with every single doorway stickied and both teams would need ubers to get anywhere at anytime. If people have half a brain, and I assume the participants will, then it would make for a lot of boring stalemates.

Edit:

DF,
Just a tourney would prob be a winners and a losers bracket since its no fun to not play anymore if you get slaughtered in the first round. A full season would just be a scheduled setup where every team plays every other with the best teams competing in a "Super Bowl" like avy said. FWIW, I think any finals should be a best of 3 maps where both teams pick their best map, then one is that wasn't picked is randomized for a tie breaker if necessary.

Zeitgeist
Dec 04, 2008, 04:48 PM
thats a good point. who should decide the class restrictions?

getthere1tme
Dec 04, 2008, 04:52 PM
2 of every and one medic and demo is standard for 6v6 CEVO and CAL. I'd imagine 7v7 it would be the same. 8v8+ it gets a little blurry but 3 and 2 makes the most sense.

OmegaZero_Alpha
Dec 04, 2008, 04:52 PM
class restrictions are stupid. any good should be able to counter another team, no matter what class they are.

Zeitgeist
Dec 04, 2008, 04:54 PM
i would be inclined to agree with you omega, except for the mental image of 4 medics and 4 demos being pretty much an unstoppable team

OmegaZero_Alpha
Dec 04, 2008, 04:57 PM
I have seen it easily countered.

the medics have to be more mobile and can't "wiggle" around as much with a class as fast as the demoman, hence becoming sniper fodder. good soldier/pyro+sniper teams can usually take them out easily.

getthere1tme
Dec 04, 2008, 04:57 PM
pretty much @ Zeit.

Omega, pyros wont even get close, soldiers will get super spammed or be afraid to peek in doorways and even if you snipe a medic or 2 there are still there are still others to heal and that's two less guys you have to push with.

Adder
Dec 04, 2008, 07:24 PM
No class caps, if a team can successfully run 5 heavies and a medic, then more power to them.

Class caps are to prevent all demo/medic teams, not people that are dumb enough to run 4 snipers.

OmegaZero_Alpha
Dec 04, 2008, 07:38 PM
I ran clan matches on my servers all the time and they never had a problem taking out teams of medic/demos.

Zeitgeist
Dec 04, 2008, 07:39 PM
i think at the very least, it would turn people off participating to know that it was okay for stacked medic+demo teams

OmegaZero_Alpha
Dec 04, 2008, 07:42 PM
but the tourneys are for all regulars anyway, who won't mind a team scramble every round (because that is something we will need)

Also, if it bothers people that much than people should have the common courtesy to not do it.

Remember that we aren't playing against random idiots here, these are people we generally know.

FrostDragonfly
Dec 04, 2008, 07:55 PM
i think the standard class restriction of 2 of each except 1 demo 1 medic is pretty good, if our teams are really small.

basically the only cap i think is necessary is demo, cuz if u have more medics, ur losing considerable firepower.

i dunno how to build tourny brackets, so that'll be up to u guys.

DF, is there a way to do a thread in the sourceop steam group?

OmegaZero_Alpha
Dec 04, 2008, 07:56 PM
IRC

Redneck
Dec 04, 2008, 08:03 PM
I am up for it, with the assumption that I can be on the heavily stacked team.

Bufus
Dec 04, 2008, 08:18 PM
Frost, see if you can get some of those guys from Goldrush you said were interested to sign up here on the forums so we have a better "head count".

Im a goldrush Regular, and I approve this message

Sups
Dec 04, 2008, 08:18 PM
Sounds like a lot of fun! Go goldrush server!

Dirkheim_Digglstein
Dec 04, 2008, 08:30 PM
Yoyoyo,

I'm totally down. Heres my input.

Each server gets together with whose ever is willing within the server (1 server per person, people decide which server they want to try) and makes the list of willing participants.Then either a draft or a try out ensue which determine starters and backups.

We should start this off with just a simple tournament to see if the whole idea is even viable. And a tourney will probably create some rivalry which will fuel more matches.

Saturday night is fine. How late though?

2 of each class would be legit. But i mean it gets rid of the ALL scout final round desperate blitzkreig finale strategy i was coming up with....j/k

I'm fairly willing to help out. So I'll keep up with this thread and see what can be done.

FrostDragonfly
Dec 04, 2008, 08:49 PM
Couple more names that are in
p0k3m0nmastr
SPAM
Biology?
Recky
Zalfy @ HYELP

couple names that are pending:
{Everyone Kill} Weezy
[92B] Simo

insomniaprincess
Dec 04, 2008, 08:54 PM
Oh noes! We got Bufus and Sups on the forums!

hehe :D

thanks guys, glad you're in (and the rest of ya, too)

IamTHEBOOKIE
Dec 04, 2008, 09:24 PM
I call playing as heavy from the valve maps server

bankai
Dec 04, 2008, 09:27 PM
I'm down

Zeitgeist
Dec 04, 2008, 09:37 PM

you'll have to try out like everyone else.

we really need to come up with a mini-tourney bracket to decide which players will represent their servers. it should not be clan based. it should be based on your performance in specific games. i think there should also be a time spent on server requirement... but not too high.. just enough to make it obvious that they are the regulars

this is a server feud that must end in blood!

getthere1tme
Dec 04, 2008, 11:02 PM

you'll have to try out like everyone else.

we really need to come up with a mini-tourney bracket to decide which players will represent their servers. it should not be clan based. it should be based on your performance in specific games. i think there should also be a time spent on server requirement... but not too high.. just enough to make it obvious that they are the regulars

this is a server feud that must end in blood!

Right, not clan based but I know I'm gonna want to play with my guys. you'll want to play with the phd guys, etc, etc. My thoughts are this:

Each server puts together as many 6 man(or however many is decided on. I'd prefer 6) teams as it can. Teams play a small interserver tourney or round robbin to determine seeding within a server. Then you pluck the 1s from each server and put them in a bracket, 2s in a bracket, 3s and so on. That way you have each server's best playing each other, second best, 3rd best and so on. This is a little more complicated but this ensures all teams play and get matched up with people from other servers of similar skill levels and continues the whole server feuding theme. If you wanted to get even more complicated you could move the winners of the 2 bracket up to 1s, winner of 3s to 2s, etc. I'm really just tossing around ideas.

Thoughts?

FrostDragonfly
Dec 04, 2008, 11:09 PM
[92B] Simo
Fron [CoCa]
{Everyone Kill} Weezy
Retro
Darc
`pr| Panzerschrek Quasi-Baka
[B-Sacks]Leninator
WW3|Zero-Flame

are all in

i think like half the goldrush server is in. lol

Redneck
Dec 04, 2008, 11:22 PM
.................................................. .

Zeitgeist
Dec 04, 2008, 11:31 PM
this shit is like the olympics.

you guys better not let me down.

trover4
Dec 05, 2008, 12:22 AM
i would go in for goldrush server if were doing highlander. Which to be honest is the best idea in this situation. it keeps down on ridiculous spam fests and makes the playing field very even. Plus it helps when you only need to find one of each class to represent your server. it solves class capping issues

~Bill Steed

Redneck
Dec 05, 2008, 02:58 AM
What is this "highlander" you speak of?

OmegaZero_Alpha
Dec 05, 2008, 02:58 AM
one of each class

Redneck
Dec 05, 2008, 03:06 AM
I call demo.

SUPS IS DOOOOOOOMED.

Shankstah
Dec 05, 2008, 03:14 AM
This is building momentum.

But let's organize every person in every server in a separate thread to create less fuss and confusion, that way this will all go much smoother.

FrostDragonfly
Dec 05, 2008, 03:25 AM
Yea, i think insomnia princess has a pretty complete roster *AHEM*

getthere1tme
Dec 05, 2008, 11:30 AM
Just made a thread in this forum, Shankstah: http://www.sourceop.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&p=12532#12532

DF, is it possible to get a MOTD on the servers for a week or so regarding this to spread the word?

Isuxdix
Dec 05, 2008, 09:21 PM
Perfect Team

Mr. Boo - Demo
Half-Duplex - Demo
Krylon - Soldier
Feanor - Soldier
President Logan - Medic
Whitefox - Medic
BLoo - Medic
Flyz - Pyro (lulz @ pyro in tourney play)
Yay! - Engineer
Goose - Sniper
Mr. Username - Heavy

Optional Classes:
Big Chief - Spy
Mr. Crow - Scout

Seargent Balls and Yazan Kiriel as alternate demos.
iamTHEBOOKIE and Jumpinthefire as alternate heavies.
Coccomo, R6, and SarahPalin# as alternate snipers.
Adder as alternate engineer.
Xtasy, CZ97B, Game316, and Corpse as alternate soldiers (so many to choose from)
Ann and Isuxdix as alternate medics
GetThere1Time as alternate scout.

End of discussion. You suck if I didn't mention you.

Zeitgeist
Dec 06, 2008, 11:24 AM
cool, douche

IamTHEBOOKIE
Dec 06, 2008, 11:41 AM
Perfect Team

Mr. Boo - Demo
Half-Duplex - Demo
Krylon - Soldier
Feanor - Soldier
President Logan - Medic
Whitefox - Medic
BLoo - Medic
Yay! - Engineer
Goose - Sniper
Mr. Username - Heavy

Optional Classes:
Big Chief - Spy
Mr. Crow - Scout

Xtasy, CZ97B, Game316, and Corpse as alternate soldiers (so many to choose from)

umm, I would be primary heavy... sorry

Mailman
Dec 06, 2008, 03:46 PM
Salutations everyone,

Checking in from the Goldrush server. This looks to be a fun event, even if I don't make the roster.

Adder
Dec 06, 2008, 04:25 PM
Perfect Team

Mr. Boo - Demo
Half-Duplex - Demo
Krylon - Soldier
Feanor - Soldier
President Logan - Medic
Whitefox - Medic
BLoo - Medic
Yay! - Engineer
Goose - Sniper
Mr. Username - Heavy

Optional Classes:
Big Chief - Spy
Mr. Crow - Scout

I could be alternate anything except sniper TBH.

Hell-met
Dec 06, 2008, 04:40 PM
I'm a better heavy / medic / engie / pyro (lol) than all of you.

Ask all those poor spies and snipers who were outsmarted by my grand awareness levels and my unpredictable movement patterns.

IamTHEBOOKIE
Dec 06, 2008, 04:49 PM
I'm a better heavy / medic / engie / pyro (lol) than all of you.

Ask all those poor spies and snipers who were outsmarted by my grand awareness levels and my unpredictable movement patterns.

stfu you don't play much anymore!!

Hell-met
Dec 06, 2008, 06:58 PM
Elaborate.

OmegaZero_Alpha
Dec 06, 2008, 06:59 PM
I don't know how he could have been any clearer than that...

IamTHEBOOKIE
Dec 06, 2008, 07:13 PM
Elaborate.

I'm saying I have spent a lot of time lately in the server over the last couple months and probably have only seen you a dozen or so times, unless we are playing at different times during the day! and also... I would kick your ass as heavy :P

Hell-met
Dec 06, 2008, 11:13 PM
hlxstats seys I'm 28th.

I used to be 19th but you are right I did spend less time playing TF2.

Drunken F00l
Dec 07, 2008, 02:25 AM
I'll see what I can do to spread the word around. It would be easier if we set a date.

getthere1tme
Dec 07, 2008, 08:46 AM
How bout we set a sign up deadline for the 21st and start some time after the holidays?

Drunken F00l
Dec 07, 2008, 03:16 PM
Sure. We also need to get all the details/logistics worked out.

Isuxdix
Dec 07, 2008, 04:44 PM
mm, I would be primary heavy... sorry

I said the perfect team.

hlxstats seys I'm 28th.
That means nothing. You used to be good, then you had to go and get a life :roll:

Hell-met
Dec 07, 2008, 05:49 PM
Quite a shame really.