Thread: Doing a Charge Back on a Gift Through Paypal

Last Online
    Jul 15, 2014
    Threads

Doing a Charge Back on a Gift Through Paypal

Hello everyone, could someone answer some questions for me please.

1. Is it possible to do a charge back through Paypal even if the money was sent as a gift?
    2. If I file a charge back through my credit card company will it affect me in anyway or form, with Paypal or other people/things/company?
    3. If I do file a charge back through my credit card company will it be successful?

http://forums.steamrep.com/threads/7...uleslol.12901/

So this dude adds me as a friend and says that he is selling a bud, I assumed that he was from my thread on sourceop about buying a bud, I was in a hurry so I did not check his forum link correctly but I did check his steamrep and it was/is clean so I trusted him, send him the money and then he disconnected.

Last Online
    Oct 27, 2014
    Threads

Quote Originally Posted by PolymathGio View Post
    Hello everyone, could someone answer some questions for me please.

1. Is it possible to do a charge back through Paypal even if the money was sent as a gift?
    Yes.
    3. If I do file a charge back through my credit card company will it be successful?
    Depends if the evidence is in your favor--keep in mind, paypal doesnt recognize virtual trades, so if you chargeback and you were the one that purchased the item you should be successful

Last Online
    Feb 28, 2013
    Threads

What's worse is those "I will not charge back" messages probably don't do anything at all, aside from making some PayPal employee squint their eyes. The only deterrent is the damage to the person's credit rating (which makes chargeback stupid for small purchases), assuming the PayPal account isn't stolen as well.

(edit: ugh, my brain's not working right now. sorry for the earlier tone of my message, since you're the victim and all. But keep in mind the chargeback will likely have a temporary effect on your credit rating...it lasts around a few months iirc)

I've been wondering about this because I'm somewhat dreading the day where I get involved with any big ticket item. (most likely as a buyer) The idea of hunting down 15 buds or something drains my will to even do such a transaction. When I made my first ever virtual sale (in '98) the buyer actually mailed me a standard check, but now we all know even those can easily be cancelled.

Apart from meeting a trusted local middleman at a local Starbucks with an envelope of cash and a laptop, what methods out there would make a nervous seller at ease? I think cashier's checks might be one option...
    Last edited by sarysa; Oct 21, 2012 at 03:54 PM.

Last Online
    Oct 27, 2014
    Threads

moneypak--no way to charge that shit back.

Last Online
    Jul 15, 2014
    Threads

I decided to not risk getting bad credit. I will call Paypal and see if they can get it fix without hurting me in anyway or form, if the employee says that it can't be fix oh well I will take this as a lesson and from now on I will only buy from well known trades and if I do buy from someone who has not that much rep or is not well know then the payment will be sent as "goods".

Also Bitcoins can't be charged back and they are anonymous.

BTW Thanks for the answers

Last Online
    Oct 27, 2014
    Threads

Alternatively, refuse to go first. And when sElling, only use bitcoins/moneypak/deal with reliable people.

Last Online
    Dec 28, 2013
    Threads

I don't see why we don't all just use moneypak. Its just as easy to use as payapl. And you can reload your card so once you pay the initial $5 fee or whatever it is you're good to go.

Last Online
    Oct 27, 2014
    Threads

How can you reload moneypak if u give the code to the seller? Additionally, its not anywhere near as easy, because you need to live in america, and have access to a car/ability to get to a store which sells them. Furthermore, most people can't accept moneypak--as you need to link your ssn with paypal to do so.

Last Online
    Feb 28, 2013
    Threads

Also, bitcoins are a disaster through and through. It's a deflationary currency, and because of this it's wrought by speculation and hoarding. (recent article that was slashdot suggests that the great majority of bitcoins are hoarded and/or lost, which means the current valuation at over $100mil would not stand the test of every bitcoin being traded at once) The price fluctuation of bitcoins is far worse than with buds -- you can't make an even USD trade with them.

If moneypak is as djdwosk97 and Jabroni say it is, the $5 fee would be better worth it for transactions over $300 or so. (though from a buyer's perspective, I'd probably put up a few more conditions to weed out bridge-burning scammers, like making a phone call and such heh)
    Last edited by sarysa; Oct 21, 2012 at 10:41 PM.

Last Online
    Jul 15, 2014
    Threads

I wish there was a currency like bitcoins that was stable, I think that would solve a lot of trading issues.

Last Online
    Oct 27, 2014
    Threads

Quote Originally Posted by sarysa View Post
    If moneypak is as djdwosk97 and Jabroni say it is, the $5 fee would be better worth it for transactions over $300 or so.
    Of course, i would prefer moneypak anyday, however their are a few issues with it. First of all, not everyone has access to moneypak (its only available in the US, and it has to be purchased in person). Secondly, not everyone can accept it, if your SSN isnt linked to your paypal account then you cant. Third, there is a much greater risk for the buyer because there is no way to get the money back, additionally there is no proof that the "seller" actually recieved payment. Unlike paypal, moneypak has no confirmation emails.

On a side note--you can't really add funds to moneypak. You technically can, but the thing is, when you send moneypak to the seller, you give him the code, So now that person has the code--are you really going to put more money onto the same card with the same code??

I wish there was a currency like bitcoins that was stable, I think that would solve a lot of trading issues.
    There is nothing wrong with using paypal, you just have to be careful/alert.

Guidelines:
    1) Large amounts of rep dating back atleast 3 months. Rep from active community members, known traders--aka, people with 100+ posts, when you see a rep thread with a bunch of commenters with 1 post, then its possible it was just an alt (not necessarily though).
    2) Large amounts of games, 50+ games (non-f2p). A scammer isnt going to risk an account with 50+ games sitting on it.
    3) Be patient. Anyone who tries to rush you--"Hurry up," "I have to go," etc... is most probably a scammer. Anyone who is legit, will have no problem waiting for a couple minutes, or until the next day. This also goes for anyone who says, this also goes for anyone who says, "I cant find a middleman on atm, so can we just trade now, i promise i wont run/you send me 50% now, and 50% later."
    4) Offering a fair amount. Most scammers offer more than your buyout (even when one is present). Scammers realize greed will end up fucking you.
    5) Double check all links--check yourself. Links are always faked, get them yourself, and when you check a rep thread--Go to google, search for the forum, sign in (assuming its one of the major ones--reddit/tf2-trader/Manncotrading/SOP/Rawr), and after signing in, open his rep thread--are you still signed in?--No? then its not an actual rep thread. Also, make sure his profile is actually his, and not just that of an impersonator--CHECK the vital info--Number friends, Number of games, Number of hours, date joined.
    6) Anyone who rejects a mm=scammer. Anyone who tells you "I dont want to use a mm, i have been scammed by one before." 99.999999% chance he's a scammer.
    7) Ask a trusted member of the community/sop trusted seller/sop mm/admins/etc... for help determining the legitimacy of the buyer, most are eager to help.
    Last edited by djdwosk97; Oct 22, 2012 at 06:53 PM.

Last Online
    Feb 28, 2013
    Threads

That's kind of what's wrong with PayPal. In a thread I started I alluded to a huge, disaffected number of older gamers who will fail the first two qualifications. I have 50+ games...as xbox DVDs. I won't have even a full page of rep for a long time, because I'm not a trader, I'm a buyer who mainly wants unusuals and I'm not going to make token purchases to get pages of rep. I'm already running out of stuff that I want so I don't expect to load up on keys more than once or twice more.

I maintain that a lot of green is not entering the TF2 economy because it's too much of a pain to get in. On the other hand, that SSN requirement for moneypak is rough. Maybe I'll find a seller who accepts cashier's checks.

Last Online
    Oct 27, 2014
    Threads

Quote Originally Posted by sarysa View Post
    On the other hand, that SSN requirement for moneypak is rough.
    its not all that much of an issue, i personally can't accept moneypak--however i just have my friend accept moneypak and he forwards the money to me. (a complete win for him, bc now he has a guaranteed amount of money rather than an amount of money that can be potentially charged back).

Last Online
    Mar 20, 2014
    Threads

Very informative stuff here.

I just got chargedback by this guy :
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/yazerazz/
    http://forums.steamrep.com/threads/7...azerazz.13036/
    http://steamrep.com/?id=76561198036112685

It was just 25$, but its a whole load for me since I just started of getting back into cash trades with 22 keys.

I know its probably impossible from what I have been reading to win this case but I'll try my best. Good amount of people are also trying to win against this scammer.

Just trying to keep my hopes up

Last Online
    Oct 27, 2014
    Threads

Quote Originally Posted by horneju View Post
    Good amount of people are also trying to win against this scammer.
    Just trying to keep my hopes up
    Friend everyone who is filing a scam report against, him, and make sure that everyone has the same story when they message paypal.
    About 7 months ago, someone charged back $30k+ (the exact amount was never made clear), and her chargeback ended up failing due to the overwhelming evidence against her. (She charged back over 150 people at once.